June 4, 2009

How Twitter Will Change the Way We Live

Time Magazine has published a feature article on How Twitter Will Change the Way We Live written by Steven Johnson.
“The one thing you can say for certain about Twitter is that it makes a terrible first impression. You hear about this new service that lets you send 140-character updates to your “followers,” and you think, Why does the world need this, exactly? It’s not as if we were all sitting around four years ago scratching our heads and saying, “If only there were a technology that would allow me to send a message to my 50 friends, alerting them in real time about my choice of breakfast cereal.”

[via iLibrarian]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nicely put. I often find myself trying to explain/defend Twitter to people who have been thrown off by that bad "first impression".

Steven Johnson has a talent for illustrating the value of technologies that people want to dismiss as trivial. I really enjoyed his book Everything Bad is Good for You.