January 27, 2009

File Your Federal Taxes Online for Free

According to lifehacker.com, everyone can now file their federal taxes online free:
“You used to have to make less than $56,000 per year to use the IRS' Free File program to submit your income tax forms online... Now everyone can e-file for free this year... As the Consumerist blog points out, you'll have to know pretty much exactly what you're doing with the right forms, since those making more than the $56K limit won't be given any pointers on what goes where. But if you're a DIY type… Free File has opened up the doors to any and all.”

I still prepare my taxes on paper myself, so I have never tried the Free File program. But I might try it this year.

In the meanwhile, if anyone has any experience with the IRS' Free File software, drop a comment.

No comments: